Chapman, Arthur David (1947 - )
Arthur Chapman was the Scientific Coordinator of Biogeographic Information at ERIN in the 1990s. Prior to that he worked for the Australian Biological Resources Study as a Botanist and Bibliographer. He has extensive experience in systematic botany and bibliography, serving on several International committees dealing with Botanical Nomenclature and Data Standards.
Arthur has published over 180 papers on a range of biological topics. His major publication is the four volume, Australian Plant Name Index which details bibliographic information on the more than 60,000 names that have been applied to Australian plants. This data is now maintained as a database by the Australian National Botanic Gardens. Some of his more important publication are detailed below.
- "Proposals on valid publication and the report of the Special Committee on Valid Publication". Taxon 35: 756-779 (1986)
- "Proposals to expedite nomenclature". Taxon 35: 823 [with R.J. Hnatiuk] (1986)
- "Domin and Danes in Java and Australia 1909-1910". in P.S.Short (ed.) History of Systematic Botany in Austalasia Proceedings of a symposium held at the University of Melbourne, 25-27 May 1988 pp. 159-163 (1990)
- "Australian Plant Name Index A-C". Australian Flora and Fauna Series No. 12. Canberra: AGPS. i-xxii, 1-898 (1991)
- "Australian Plant Name Index D-J". Australian Flora and Fauna Series No. 13. Canberra: AGPS. i-xi, 899-1710 (1991)
- "Australian Plant Name Index K-P". Australian Flora and Fauna Series No. 14. Canberra: AGPS. i-xi, 1711-2476 (1991)
- "Australian Plant Name Index Q-Z". Australian Flora and Fauna Series No. 15. Canberra: AGPS. i-xi, 2477-3056 (1991)
- "Quality control and validation of point-sourced environmental resource data" pp.409-418 in Lowell, K. and Jaton, A. (eds). Spatial Accuracy Assessment: Land Information Uncertainty in Natural Resources. Chelsea, Michigan: Ann Arbor Press. (1999)
- "Gathering Data - Creating Information". The importance of data accuracy and data-sharing" in L.Giddings (ed.) Memorias del Simposio. Manejo de Datos de Diversidad Biologica y de Conservacion pp. 13-18. Xalapa: Instituto de Ecologia (1993)
- "Linking Plant Species Information to Climate Modelling for Continental Biodiversity Inventory and Monitoring" in R.I.Miller (ed.) Mapping the Diversity of Nature London: Chapman and Hall [with J.R.Busby] (in press: 1994)
- "Principles of Data Quality". Report for the Global Biodiversity Information Facility 2005. 61pp. Copenhagen: GBIF. (2005) http://www.gbif.org/prog/digit/data_quality/DataQuality.pdf.
- "Principles and Methods of Data Cleaning". Report for the Global Biodiversity Information Facility 2005. 75pp. (2005) Copenhagen: GBIF. http://www.gbif.org/prog/digit/data_quality/DataCleaning.pdf. .
- "Uses of Primary Species-Occurrence Data". Report for the Global Biodiversity Information Facility 2005. 111pp. (2005) Copenhagen: GBIF. http://www.gbif.org/prog/digit/data_quality/UsesPrimaryData.pdf.
- "Guide to Best Practices for Georeferencing". BioGeomancer Consortium. Copenhagen: Global Biodiversity Information Facility. 90pp. ISBN: 87-92020-00-3 (with J. Wieczorek 2006). http://www.gbif.org/prog/digit/Georeferencing
- "Numbers of living species in Australia and the World". 61pp. Canberra: Australian Biological Resources Study. ISBN (printed): 978 0 642 56849 6l ISBN (online): 978 0 642 56850 2 (2006) http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/abrs/publications/other/species-numbers/index.html.
History of British migration to Australia in the 19th Century; History of Australian Botany - including the development and maintenance of a large database of Australian plant collectors; cricket as an International scorer.
Since returning from Brazil he lives in Toowoomba, Queensland.
For professional purposes, he is trading as:
Australian Biodiversity Information Services
Arthur D. Chapman
(Australian Biodiversity Information Services)
PO Box 7491
Toowoomba South, Qld 4352
260 Kearney Street
Home Phone: International: +61 7 4630 9065
Australia: (07) 4630 9065
Mobile: International: +61 0400 400 326
Australia: 0400 4000 67
Email as of January 2007: < biodiv_2achapman.org > [do not cut & paste!]
Source: Pers Com 2004, 2007
Australian National Herbarium - updated
13 November, 2007
by webmaster (email@example.com)