Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria
Born c.1854, died at Kandos, near Rylestone, NSW, on 19 January 1937.
He was registered in New South Wales as a licensed surveyor on 19 June 1876, when his address was Rylstone, and he was also living there when the type description of Eucalyptus dawsonii was published. He was interested in the native flora and collected a number of species. It is probable that both Acacia dawsonii and Isopogon dawsonii were named after J. Dawson, since the author of each was R. T Baker (qv.) and they grow in localities accessible to Rylstone.
from the funeral report in the Mudgee Gardian and North-Western Representative newspaper, Thurs 21 January, 1937:
"The deceased, who had lived in Kandos for over 50 years, was one of the first settlers in the district. A surveyor by profession, he surveyed the town of Kandos, which was then in a very wild state. The late Mr. Dawson was a lovable man, and was liked by all with whom he came into contact. He found great pleasure in speaking of old days long before Kandos was ever thought of.
Mr. and Mrs. Dawson were married 56 years, most of which time had been spent in Kandos, where deceased was the owner of that fine estate known as Henbury, which included the well known Henbury golf links, he being the patron of that club."
Eucalyptus dawsonii R.T. Baker (1899) is named in his honour
Source: Extracted from: Hall, N. (1978) Botanists of the eucalypts. Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Melbourne;
TROVE: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/162243246 (viewed 16/5/2018)