Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria
Born at Nardi, W.A., in 1842 and died at Guildford, W.A., on 20 April 1912.
From about 1861 to 1878 he was active in pioneering work but subsequently entered parliament and later became a newspaper proprietor.
He explored the Yilgarn district with Dempster and Clarkson in 1861, and with Lukin and Clarkson in 1864. Subsequently, he became a pastoralist in the north-west and later a partner in two sheep stations. He also engaged in pearling during many of the years from 1868 to 1878. From 1878 to 1880 and 1884 to 1905 he was a member of the Western Australian parliament in which he held many positions including those of Chairman of Committees and Speaker. He was also part-proprietor of the WA Times (1880-84) and of the West Australian (1884-1912).
He is collector of the type of Eucalyptus orbifolia F. Muell. (1865)Source: Extracted from: Hall, N. (1978) Botanists of the eucalypts. Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Melbourne