Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria
Born in Heidelberg, Vic., in 1857 and died in Melbourne on 8 October 1929.
He was at first a carpenter, then a builder and later an architect in Bairnsdale, where he spent most of his life. He joined the Public Service of Victoria in 1890 as an Inspector of Public Works, during which time he supervised the erection of the Bairnsdale Court House and lands Office. He was noted as an authority on Victorian timbers and his knowledge was so highly regarded that he was chosen by the Government to select the Victorian exhibits of timber for the Franco—British Exhibition in 1913. He was first honorary secretary of the Bairnsdale District Hospital Committee and was also a member of the Council of the Bairnsdale School of Mines.
He was collector of the syntypes of several eucalypts.Source: Extracted from: Hall, N. (1978) Botanists of the eucalypts. Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation, Melbourne