Born on 2 October 1848.
first joined the Public Service of New South Wales in 1877 but his
service was not continuous in the early days. On 19 September 1890 he
was appointed Inspector, Public Watering Places, Artesian Boring Branch
and on 1 July 1907 was promoted to Assistant Engineer, Department of
Public Works. It appears that he did not retire from the
Public Service until he was 65, since is is recorded as still working
at 30 June 1913 but not at 30 June 1914.