Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria
Arrived in New South Wales in 1880. First curator of the Technological Museum, Sydney (1881-1896), where he established an herbarium from 1883; consulting botanist to the Department of Agriculture from 1890; Superintendent of Technical Education from 1894. Appointed Government Botanist and Director of the Botanic Gardens in Sydney in 1896, retiring in 1924. He was instrumental in establishing the formal herbarium, with a purpose-built building, a botanical museum and lecture room, and established a network of collectors and correspondents.
He collected widely in Western Australia, South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria and on Lord Howe, Norfolk and Pitcairn Islands. His research output was prodigious, including the 8-volume A Critical Revision of the Genus Eucalyptus (1903-1933), the 8-volume Forest Flora of New South Wales (1903-1925), several major papers on Acacia, and (with E.Betche) A Census of New South Wales Plants (1917). He wrote a series of papers from 1908-1921 giving biographical details of early Australian botanists, and these papers have been heavily used in subsequent histories, including those on this web site. His main collection is in NSW, with duplicates in many other herbaria, including A, AK, B, BISH, BM, C, CGE, CORD, DAO, DBN, E, F, GB, GH, HBG, HO, K, L, LIV, MANCH, MICH, MO, MSE, NH, NY, OXF, POM, U, VT, W and WAG.
Extracted from: A.E.Orchard (1999) A History of Systematic
Botany in Australia, in Flora of Australia Vol.1, 2nd ed.,
ABRS. [consult for source references]