Council of Heads of Australasian Herbaria
A surgeon with the Van Diemen's Land Company at Hampshire Hills/Surrey Hills grazing block in north-western Tasmania, 1831-1842; joined Governor Sir John & Lady Franklin's overland expedition to Macquarie Harbour (February-May 1842); later stationed at Flinders Island (December 1843-April 1846 and May-October 1847) and Macquarie Harbour (July 1846-March 1847). He collected on the east coast of Tasmania (Schouten Island, Recherche Bay and Fingal) in 1848, and in the east and north from 1849-1854. An acquaintance of James Backhouse in the 1830s, and later a member of Gunn's collecting circle (1840s and 1850s). Secretary of the Royal Society of Van Diemen's Land, 1848 - 1860. He presented a collection of flowering plants to the Tasmanian Museum in 1852, before leaving Tasmania in 1860. Many of his collections were incorporated in Gunn's herbarium, and thus are now found in BM, HO, K and NSW. Some are also recorded in A, CGE, F, FI, MEL, MO, OXF, P and TCD.
Extracted from: A.E.Orchard (1999) A History of Systematic
Botany in Australia, in Flora of Australia Vol.1, 2nd ed.,
ABRS. [consult for source references]