EUCLID is the definitive electronic identification and information system now covering all 894 eucalypts of Australia in the one publication.
Using Lucid software, EUCLID was produced by the Centre for Plant Biodiversity Research from the Australian National Herbarium database of over 60,000 eucalypt specimens as well as information derived from glasshouse studies for details of comparative juvenile morphology, and from widespread field observations. It was first published in 1997, with a revised edition published in 2000 which included all the species of Angophora and a second edition published in 2002, covering all southern Australian eucalypts. This Third Edition, published in 2006, covers all Australian eucalypts.
Covering the morphology – habit, bark, leaves, flowers, fruits, buds, seeds and juveniles – and some geographic and ecological information, this is a simple means of naming a eucalypt plant or specimen using whatever information is available to you.
Easy to navigate fact sheets for each species include a botanical description, common name, the formal scientific name together with nomenclatural synonyms, geographic and ecological information, and notes covering relationships, distinguishing features and other species it might be confused with. This information is complemented with over 9000 high quality colour images covering each species, illustrating all the main features of the plant, and a map showing natural distribution.
This system will be invaluable to a wide range of botanists and ecologists, foresters, land managers, educators, conservationists and students interested in eucalypts.
- Covers Angophora, Corymbia and Eucalyptus
- Numerous images and distribution maps for each species
- Easy-to-use interactive identification key
- Developed from the Australian National Herbarium collection and extensive field work
- Covers all eucalypts of Australia
- An additional 204 taxa compared with 2nd edition, a total of 894 taxa
- Over 2200 new images, with more than 9000 images in total
- Now includes flowering times
- Type photographs for many eucalypt names
- Comparative notes for discrimination of species in many large eucalypt groups
- Runs on Lucid Player 2.2
- DVD drive
- Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP
- Minimum 32MB RAM; 64MB RAM or higher is recommended
- Internet Explorer 5.0 or greater
- SVGA monitor (800 x 600 or better)
- Internet connection (optional)
- Runs on Windows Vista (Lucid Player 2.2 patch required)