• The key consists of a series of windows,
that can be opened, moved and closed at will.
• The characters available relate to habit,
bark, leaf, fruit, seedling, flower, family and geographic area, via the
• Each character type has its own window,
and as many character types (& therefore windows) as required may be
open at any one time.
• The character windows contain the features
that are available for use in the identification. Identification proceeds
with the user selecting features from the window that can be seen on the
specimen to be identified.
• The features are selected by clicking
on the appropriate line in the character window. At any time, it is possible
to remove a selected feature, by again clicking on it.
• A status bar at the bottom of the screen
provides information on the current operation, and on the number of taxa
remaining. A species window may be opened to list the taxa remaining.
• Selecting any one of these taxa from
the species window allows access to additional information on that species
- speciesa description & additional diagnostic features
- an on screen distribution map
- an x-ray image of a leaf
- in many cases, one or more photographs of the species
• On screen help is available on all characters,
with images where necessary.