In Flower This Week
A weekly news sheet prepared by a Gardens' volunteer.
Numbers before each plant refer to temporary IFTW labels in the gardens.
Numbers in square brackets [ ] refer to garden bed Sections. Plants in flower are in bold type.
10 August 2012
click for larger image
Today we walk along one arm of the Main Path
- Cream tubes of Epacris longiflora [Section 174] are displayed on a bush with long tentacles of close foliage.
- The long-flowering Correa bauerlenii [Section 131] or Chef’s Cap Correa has green tubular foliage with exserted stamens on attractive glossy foliage.
- Dracophyllum macranthum [Section 240] in a pot has showy pink tubes on ragged foliage. It is currently listed as a vulnerable species.
- Leptospermum ‘Pink Cascade’ [Section 240] has five-petalled pink flowers with dark red centres on needle-like foliage.
- Grevillea ‘Scarlet Sprite’[Section 240] has bright red spider blooms with long stamens on an open bush.
- Tetratheca ciliata [Section 240] has white drooping bells on a compact bush with neat foliage.
- Turn left back to the Main Path. Acacia alata var. biglandulosa [Section 240] is in full bloom with white fluffy balls on flattened phyllodes.
- Leptospermum squarrosum [Section 10] has pink tea-tree flowers blooming on the stems of a stiff bush.
- Thryptomene saxicola [Section 10] had tiny white/pink flowers on the arching stems of a small bush.
- X Astackea ‘Winter Pink’[Section 10] has tiny bright pink flowers on an airy bush.
- Banksia ericifolia var. ericifolia [Section 30] is a medium bush covered in orange banksia blooms.
- Grevillea saccata [Section 30] in a pot has orange pouched blooms on drooping foliage.
- Banksia spinulosa ’Birthday Candles’ [Section 30] is an attractive low green mound of foliage covered with gold brushes with red styles.
- The stunning Banksia spinulosa var. neoanglica [Section 25] is covered in yellow-gold spikes on a small neat bush
- Grevillea dimorpha [Section 25], intertwined with the Banksia above, has bright red blooms on upright dark green foliage.
- A large bush with soft oval leaves and pendent clusters of red flowers is Grevillea rhyolitica subsp. rhyolitica [Section 25].
- Banksia oblongifolia [Section 25] has stubby green brushes on a small angular tree.
- Grevillea jephcottii [Section 24] has unusual green flowers on a green bush much loved by nectar feeding birds.
- Grevillea epicroca [Section 24] is a large densely-foliaged bush with brick-red pendent clusters of flowers.