Safe use of plant growth hormones
When using plant growth hormones:
- Wear protective clothing (rubber gloves, face mask and a lab coat) at all times during use. Make sure contaminated clothing does not come in contact with food.
- Ensure good ventilation during use and avoid inhaling the solution.
- Do not eat or drink while using hormone solutions.
- Keep hormone solutions away from naked flames.
- Pour out, into a covered petri dish, only as much hormone as you can use in 5-10 minutes-about half a teaspoon. Keep lid on petri dish when not in use.
- Do not pour leftovers back into the bottle-pour into a clearly labelled 'waste' bottle for later disposal.
- Keep hormone containers tightly capped and refrigerated when not in use and ensure they are labelled. Do not store in the same fridge as food.
- Wash hands and face thoroughly with soap after using hormone solutions. Wash work surface well and wash petri dish and gloves at least three times in running water.
- If skin contamination does occur, wash immediately with water.
Proprietary brand hormone solutions are now commercially available from retail outlets. For example 'ESI-ROOT' combines Indol-3-yl-Butric Acid with 1-Naphthylacetic acid (IBA and NAA) and CLONEX GEL (IBA) is marketed at various concentrations.
Both of these are water soluble preparations.
Note: Care at all times is essential when students are using hormone solutions.